Sunday, December 16, 2007

Fine dining, a dental hygienist and a dirty toilet

I was at the dentist's (incidentally, the same dentist's office that J dreamed about recently) , on my way into his office when I need to use the toilet. I tell the dental hygienist and she takes me down a side set of stairs to a small bathroom next to a restaurant. It is the filthiest bathroom I have ever seen. Horrifying...

When I'm done, I tell the hygienist and she says that it belongs to the restaurant, not the dentist and there's nothing she can do. Instead of returning to the dentist's, I sit down in the restaurant, which is kitschy in a 1970s fine dining kind of way.

I order a meal and wait a long, long time. At the tables next to me, there are four men, clearly all friends but sitting at two separate tables. I realize they're on a double date. I sit quietly listening to their conversation.

I wait a long time for my meal. While I wait, I become less discrete in my observation of the four men. A couple of them are aware that I'm watching them; they think I'm flirting, and maybe I am. But I know they're gay. This becomes embarrassing for me. I decide to tell the waiter that my meal is taking too long and I prepare to leave.

No comments: