Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A visit to my old apartment

J and I were visiting my old apartment, except that this apartment was completely different. We were just stopping by, en route to spending some time with a friend. She was with us, and came into the apartment to wait for us.

Once in, we found a lot of stuff that belonged to me and realized that we had to recoup anything we wanted before another tenant came along. Weirdly, I had been away from that apartment for a few years, so didn't know why there was so much of my stuff still there: clothes, food, weird knickknacks, etc...

I felt guilty because J and I were taking a while to put everything in plastic bags. Our friend waited patiently but I was acutely aware that we were being selfish and probably wasting her time.

Suddenly J ran over to me, very agitated and said, "Call an ambulance... X is sick." She was in the bathroom, vomiting blood. There was no phone in the apartment, so I ran outside and rang the neighbour's bell.

The neighbour lived in a huge apartment up a steep flight of stairs. There were many children and other people in the apartment's many rooms. I called an ambulance and went back downstairs.

While we waited, J and I continued to pile clothes into old plastic bags. I kept looking for the ambulance, and wondered why it was taking so long.

No comments: