Tuesday, April 3, 2007

New York, New York, big city of dreams

A village side street, in bustling Manhattan. I was hungry, but had no cash, just 2.05$ in my pocketses, and a bank card. But this place had lovely sandwiches, a little sandwich shop. But they would't take bank cards. So I crossed the street to a bakery. It was nearly closing time, a tiny place, with one glass display case behind which was the last of a loaf of bread. There were a couple of other customers standing around, undecided. I motioned to the little old lady that I would have a sandwich, which she started to make for me. Taking two slices from the last of the loaf, she started to fill it with delicious things: slices of meat, green leafy lettuce, sauces, more meats, cheeses, until it was stuffed full and thick and almost too big to eat. I asked if she accepted bank cards and she said no. I dashed out of the store and up to the main avenue, looking for a bank. The street was crowded with people and huge towering buildings. I woke up.

No comments: